Cauliflower and Potato Curry, also known as Aloo Gobi, is a classic Indian dish that combines the earthy flavors of potatoes and cauliflower with a medley of aromatic spices. This hearty and flavorful vegetarian dish is perfect for those seeking a comforting, satisfying, and wholesome meal. Whether you're new to Indian cuisine or a seasoned expert, this Aloo Gobi recipe is sure to become a staple in your kitchen.
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece ginger, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil or ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Heat the Oil: In a large pot or skillet, heat the oil or ghee over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for a few seconds.
- Sauté the Aromatics: Add the chopped onion to the pot and sauté until soft and translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic and ginger and sauté for another 1-2 minutes until aromatic.
- Add the Spices: Stir in the ground turmeric, coriander, cumin, garam masala, chili powder, and salt. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the Vegetables: Add the cauliflower florets, cubed potatoes, and chopped tomatoes to the pot. Stir well to coat the vegetables with the spice mixture.
- Simmer: Pour in the water and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cover the pot with a lid and let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes and cauliflower are tender. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. If using frozen peas, add them in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Adjust the Seasoning: Taste the curry and adjust the seasoning as needed. If you prefer a thicker sauce, you can remove the lid and let the curry simmer for a few more minutes to reduce the liquid.
- Serve and Garnish: Serve the Aloo Gobi over steamed rice or with flatbread (naan or roti). Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Cauliflower and Potato Curry (Aloo Gobi) is a delightful vegetarian dish that combines the subtle flavors of cauliflower and potatoes with the vibrant spices of Indian cuisine. Its rich and flavorful sauce, tender vegetables, and aromatic spices make it a satisfying and comforting dish perfect for any meal. Enjoy it with rice or bread for a complete and satisfying meal that will transport you to the heart of Indian culinary traditions.
Article Added By Oliver