Celebrate the bountiful flavors of summer with this Heirloom Tomato and Caramelized Onion Tart. This rustic tart showcases the vibrant colors and natural sweetness of heirloom tomatoes, paired with the rich, savory taste of caramelized onions. Encased in a buttery, flaky pastry, this tart is a perfect appetizer or light meal that's both impressive and easy to make.
For the Pastry:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4-5 tbsp cold water
For the Filling:
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4-5 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Make the Pastry: In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add the cold, cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add the cold water, stirring until the dough comes together. Shape the dough into a disc, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Caramelize the Onions: In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the sliced onions, sugar, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft, golden brown, and caramelized, about 30-40 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
- Roll Out the Pastry: On a floured surface, roll out the chilled pastry dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer the dough to a tart pan or baking sheet, leaving a border for folding.
- Assemble the Tart: Spread the caramelized onions evenly over the pastry, leaving a border around the edges. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top of the onions. Arrange the sliced heirloom tomatoes over the cheese. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper. Fold the pastry border over the edges of the filling.
- Bake: Bake the tart in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and the tomatoes are tender.
- Garnish and Serve: Remove the tart from the oven and let it cool slightly. Sprinkle the torn basil leaves over the top. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.
This Heirloom Tomato and Caramelized Onion Tart is a celebration of summer's finest flavors. The sweetness of the caramelized onions and heirloom tomatoes is perfectly balanced by the savory cheese and buttery pastry. Whether served as an appetizer, light meal, or picnic treat, this tart is sure to impress with its vibrant colors and delicious taste. Enjoy it on its own or paired with a crisp salad for a complete and satisfying meal.
Article Added By Oliver