Ah, the classic yellow layer cake with chocolate frosting! This timeless dessert reminds many of us of childhood celebrations and Sunday gatherings. The moist, buttery crumb of the yellow cake paired with the rich and luscious chocolate frosting is a match made in heaven. Let's dive right into the recipe, shall we?
For the Yellow Cake:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the Oven: Start by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans or line them with parchment paper.
- Dry Ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream Butter and Sugar: In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. This usually takes about 3-4 minutes with an electric mixer.
- Add Eggs: Beat in the eggs one at a time, ensuring each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Alternate Dry Ingredients and Milk: Begin by adding one third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mixing just until incorporated. Follow this with half the milk, another third of the flour, the remaining milk, and finally the last of the flour. Avoid overmixing.
- Bake: Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans and smooth the tops. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Cool: Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for about 10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix Butter and Cocoa: In a large bowl, mix together the softened butter and cocoa powder until well combined.
- Add Sugar and Milk: Gradually add powdered sugar alternately with milk, beating until you achieve a smooth and spreadable consistency. You can adjust the consistency by adding a little more milk or powdered sugar as needed.
- Stir in Vanilla: Add the vanilla extract and beat the frosting until smooth and creamy.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate and spread a generous amount of chocolate frosting over the top.
- Place the second cake layer on top and press down gently.
- Frost the sides and top of the cake with the remaining chocolate frosting.
- For an extra touch, you can sprinkle some chocolate shavings or chocolate chips on top!
- Storage: This cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Always ensure it's covered to keep it fresh.
- Variations: Feel free to add some chocolate chips or nuts in between the layers for added texture!
This yellow layer cake with chocolate frosting is a delightful treat that's perfect for any occasion. Whether it's a birthday celebration, a family gathering, or just because you deserve a slice of cake – this recipe is sure to impress! Enjoy baking and, most importantly, enjoy every bite!
Article Added By Oliver